City of Maumelle Fire Department MaumelleFire.Com
Grill & Barbeque Safely
Each year, about 600 fires/explosions nationally occur with gas grills resulting in injuries to about 30 people. Propane gas is highly flammable. The new safety standard for propane gas tanks requires that an "over-fill prevention device" be installed in new gas tanks. The new propane gas tanks have valve handles with three "lobes" (prongs) while older tanks have valve handles with five prongs. People with older propane gas tanks should trade them in for the new, safer tanks.

Each year about 19 people die nationally as a result of CO fumes from charcoal being burned inside. Charcoal produces carbon monoxide (CO) when it is burned. CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed environments.

Gas Grill Safety Tips
> Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes, and leaks.
> Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.
> Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease.
> Always keep propane gas containers upright.
> Never store a spare gas container under or near the grill or indoors.
> Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
> Never keep a filled container in a hot car or car trunk.
> Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.

Charcoal Grill Safety Tips
> Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents, or campers.
> Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided.
> Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is completely extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with freshly used coals.
  

Site Design & Original Content Copyright © 2003-16, Michael Cossey. All Rights Reserved. Don't Steal.
MaumelleFire.Com is the unofficial Web site of the Maumelle Fire Department and is privately owned & operated.
No endorsement of the site's contents by the Maumelle Fire Department or the City of Maumelle is expressed or implied.
HOSTING PROVIDED BY ARKANSASFIRE.NET